After being truncated for the 2019/2020 season, the Ghana Women’s League is set to return in the new year, with the date and fixtures announced for the 2020/2021 season.
The previous season had seen about 10 games being played before it was called off due to the insurgence of Covid-19 across the globe.
The truncation of the 2019/2020 season was a major blow to the Ghana Women’s league as it had been halted since the 2017/ 2018 season due to a match fixing scandal.
But the league is back now and as a means of looking forward to it, we have gathered the essential details you need to know about the 2020/2021 Ghana Women’s League season.
Ghana Women’s League: Start and end date
The 2020/2021 Ghana Women’s League season is set to begin next year, with the first round of matches slated between Friday, 15th January 2021 and Monday, 18th January 2021.
The games are expected to take place during weekends (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) and during weekdays (Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday). The season is expected to end on June 14, 2021. A total number of 112 games will be played throughout the season, in 14 match weeks.
The 2020/2021 Ghana Women’s League season will see 16 top teams participating and fighting for the ultimate trophy and cash prize. Below are all the 16 participating teams for the new campaign.
- Prison Ladies
- Supreme Ladies
- Soccer Intellectuals
- Sea Lions
- Kumasi Sports Aca.
- Ampem Darkoa
- Police Ladies
- Thunder Queens
- Ashtown Ladies
- Northern Ladies
- Berry Ladies
- Immigration Ladies
- Pearl Pia Ladies
- Fabulous Ladies
- Lady Strikers
- Hasaacas Ladies
Prizes for the new season
Below is a summarized list for the prizes announced for the new season.
- The winners of the 2020/21 league season will be awarded with a whopping GHC50,000 (8,500 dollars) in prize money and 40 gold medals.
- The league runners-up will receive GHC 30,000 along with 40 silver medals.
- The team to finish third for the new campaign will also secure GHC 15,000 and 40 bronze medals.
- Player of the match will also receive a phone & hairdryer.
- The player of the month will be awarded with a trophy & TV.
- Coach of the month will be given a smart TV from NASCO Ghana.
- The Overall best player for the 2020/21 Ghana Women’s Premier League will receive a GHS4000 shopping voucher for NASCO products.
- NASCO will also offer the Player of the season a fully paid weekend retreat for two at a first class resort in the country.
- The Best Ghana Women’s League Coach is also set to receive a GHS 5000 shopping voucher for NASCO products.
- The 16 participating teams in the top-flights will also be afforded a shopping voucher worth GHC2,000 from the GFA’s partners, Melcom Ghana,
- Each participating club in the new season will receive 20 Kipsta footballs.
Match week 1 fixtures
[table id=7 /]